Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Daddy of the Dead Review


Not since the Charles Manson cut of To Kill a Mockingbird have I seen such a heartwarming story.  “Daddy of the Dead” is a lighthearted romp about the hardships a father must face while raising an undead child in a post apocalyptic world.  Such conflicts include racism, dietary issues and of course, bigotry.    I consider this film more political than anything, as it takes a very clear position on the issue of undead parenting.  Though I happen to agree with the stand the film takes on said policy, I do have a few critiques on some of the technical aspects of the filmmaking. 

Though I appreciate the message the film conveyed, I think it would have added to the overall viewing experience to create a happier feel with the music selection during the sequence when the father prepared his daughter’s meal.  It would have created a moment for the audience to see the bright side of raising a living dead baby.  After all, a bouncing bile filled child does bring cheer to any loving household.  It also would have made the finale more unexpected and suspenseful.  I was also not the biggest fan of the chosen camera used to film this PSA, but nothing really compares to good old fashion 16mm, and who can afford film to shoot a doc with these days besides Ken Burns and Michael Moore?  Sometimes, stories need to be told and in such cases, any working camera is a good camera. 


Even though our poor subject is most definitely a victim of bigotry and racism from a mob of extremist ghouls, I can’t help but feel the film’s mission to fight racism ends up making the film maker look a tad racist himself; against zombies that is.  After watching it a second time, I noticed the film maker did not go out of his way to interview any liberal zombies who may have taken the living father’s side.  This leads me to believe one of two things; either the film maker is attempting to label all of the living dead as ignorant right wing trailer trash, or the film maker does not understand that zombies are as diverse a race as humans (I should know; I was an attendee at the Zombie Tea Party Rally this past weekend…it didn’t end well).  I am also a tad surprised that the film did not end with a message to its audience, informing them of ways they can help fight the bigotry humans face against their zombie brothers.  Perhaps a link to the website of an organization designed to fight such oppression.  Well that is where I come in.  If you have been moved by the message this film conveys and you wish to help such parents as the one portrayed in Daddy of the Dead, feel free to contact The Zombie Squad and ask them what can be done to make a difference.  They are a charitable organization that works to help those in need under the oppression of such forces of nature as the zombie apocalypse.  They are responsible for running and attending many charitable parties, conventions and events.  I believe they take donations, but either way if you feel so inclined, you can reach them by clicking here.

I usually use a meat cleaver to chop the body into small pieces,
then put the unused parts in the fridge for later.  But a kitchen knife
works fine, if you don't plan on keeping any leftovers.

The film maker's name is Guil Claveria.  I recommend giving the film a look.  It taught me a thing or two about what kind of food to feed a growing ghoul and it does a great job capturing the struggle a parent must face as a minority in a racist community.


1 comment:

  1. This looks so awesome! It's both creepy but yet very sad.

    I guess I would be dead for having dark meat. :{

    ReplyDelete